Friday, June 8, 2012

Being an Obroni, and Teaching.


"Obroni."

Want to guess what that means? Anyone? Bueler? It means “white skin. That has practically become my new name here. Kids run around and follow you and wave to you from their school grounds all while yelling “OBRONI!!! HI OBRONI!” At first I thought maybe it was a racist term, like “wtf white people? Get out of my country!” but that’s not the case. The kids love us and are so excited to see “white skin” people. Now whenever I heard the word, I turn around and wave to wherever it came from.

Also, I started my job last week and have been going 4 days a week (with the exception of one day where there was a rainstorm and no cab in sight, so they told me to just stay home because a 15 minute walk in that weather is no fun). I LOVE teaching English. Not to boast but giiiiirrrrrrllllllllll I am so good at it! Lorita, the English teacher, is my fav. She’s a great teacher and she tells me the info for the day and we sketch out a plan (I always go to work early, even just to hang out with Lorita) and then she lets me teach by myself (she sits in the classroom for assistance). The first day it was a bit hard to get kids to volunteer, but now they are pretty good about trying. This one boy was incorrect in his answers but kept raising his hand and trying over and over. I was super proud of him. There are a few kids in class who definitely should go to college. There are, of course, some lazy kids and some who never want to talk. Also, since they run on the British system, there is a class prefect (HEY HARRY POTTER WUUUTTTT), and the one I have for Form 1 classes (it’s a junior high…so these are like 6th/7th grade, but a bit behind so they are 13-15) is the best kid ever. He lets me know when it’s break or who is who and helps me with what I need. Plus he’s a great reader and always participates. I need to buy him cookies or something.

I also teach ICT, which is computers. I don’t like it as much. The school only has 1 computer (soon to be more, as I am giving them my mom’s mini, my mini and my grandma’s…though I might give one of those to another school that I like a lot, not sure). It’s very hard to teach a class of 25 (avg class size) how to do computer stuff and word formatting on ONE computer. And the other one the school has, they never bring. The ICT teacher, Esther, is cool. We have our off moments, I think, but we get along and yesterday she bought me a Fanta!

1 comment:

  1. Try using songs to teach English. Girl bear, I wish I had known you were going to be teaching over there!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete