Monday, June 11, 2012

The Value of a Dollar (or, I am a cheap-ass)

It’s kind of funny what a cheap-ass I have become in Ghana. The exchange rate here, depending on where you go, is 1.80 to 1.92…so whenever I buy something, I just divide it in half to get whatever it would be in American dollars so that it’s less confusing and so I know how much I’m spending.
So consider this: 5 GHC (Ghana Cedi) is $2.50, 20 GHC is $10, etc.
The average price of things is very low. I can get 30 bags of water for 1 GHC ($0.50). I can get 3 mangoes for $0.25, a dress made for $3.50, a cheaper version of a Ghana soccer/football jersey for $2.50, etc.

What is interesting about this is because everything is so cheap, I have become so cheap. Kind of like I did in China, except that here it’s even worse so my stinginess has become even worse. When someone wants 1 GHC for an apple, I give them an evil look. When they want 5 GHC for pretty much ANYTHING, I feel like they are ripping me off! This guy tried to make us pay 0.40 GHC for a short Trotro ride instead of the regular 0.30 GHC, and we got pissed. That’s a $0.05 difference, and I literally got mad about it. It’s so strange. The fact that someone is trying to rip me off for $0.05 is ludicrous!

I like to think this will carry back over to America when I get home and then maybe I can pay off that cursed credit card bill…but I imagine it will go back to normal pretty soon. I mean, where am I going to be able to get a dress made for $3.50?! :( I'm like a rich person here but in America I am just another college student. Although, I certainly eat more Ramen here than I do at home, so I guess there's a little college student in me still (I am pretty much forced to eat ramen as there is nothing else to eat. I will venture out today in search of a meat pie.)

Okay, I have to go teach 25 kids on how to save and name a document - all with one computer. I will try to post pictures of the school and students soon also. This connection is too slow.

3 comments:

  1. One computer!? .... Good luck darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You know I feel the same way out here. Sometimes I have this epiphany "WTF am I doing? This amount of money is practically meaningless to me" and I just let it go, but other times it's like a sense of pride thing, like, "Hey buddy, I know how much this costs and I know you're ripping me off."

    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're seeing the real value because you have to *think* about what things cost, so you are more aware of what your spending. The .5Cent was funny though... Love mom

    ReplyDelete