Friday, June 8, 2012

Food of Ghana


I changed my mind about the street food. Most of it is not so legit after all. Also, the two times I’ve had chicken now….it’s HORRIBLE. Who taught these people to make chicken? The devil??? Like I said, the first night and first morning I had great food. After that it’s all downhill.
On the street, they sell roasted corn, which I was super excited about despite the fact that I no longer eat corn. Anyway, I bought one and it was super hot so I took it home…well I went to eat it and it was hard as a rock! …or harder. I literally could not bite off a single kernel. It was cray.

Also, they eat way too much rice here. 2 nights ago I had rice and when we got home I threw up (prolly not related) and now, as if it didn’t already, the thought of rice makes me want to barf. Another day I got this rice/beans mixture and it was so gross I literally spit it out and tossed it.
The biggest thing they eat here is yams…but not like our yams in the US, at least not what I’ve seen. I actually like the yams as long as they’re not undercooked and dry. One night we had them with SUPER spicy sauce so they were basically ruined for me…unless I wanted to be an unhappy fire-breathing dragon lady for the rest of the night. Then a few nights later we had the yams cooked with like…a tomato and onion sauce of some sort and I LOVED it. Filled my tummy good.



Ramen…..ohhhhhhhh Ramen noodles. Am I back in friggin’ college again? I practically eat ramen every day. There’s no other filling food. 

As far as fruit and veggies…there’s lots of fruit and I eat it daily. Mango, bananas, apples, avocados, pineapple, watermelon, tomatoes, etc. I saw Guava today on the way to Kumasi but I haven’t tried it from the street vendors. Vegetables, though...THEY DON’T EXIST. This apparently is the Motherland of No Veggies Ever. I have seen onions and carrots. And garlic. But those are basically cooking ingredients, not part of a meal. I heard through the grapevine at the school I’m working at that spinach actually exists here, but since I haven’t seen it I’m going to assume they were lying just to mess with my veggie desiring heart. :(

I did, however, recently acquire a taste for a street food called a "meat pie." I like it. I guess it will keep me from starving to death, so that's good that I found something that costs $0.25 and will keep me alive. Anyway, it's like a pastry...corn maybe? With some meat in it. It's not filled...and it's almost like a meat paste or jelly inside. Foster said it's those tiny fishes, but I am pretty sure it's goat. To be quite honest, I don't care.

THIS IS AFRICA.

So yeah, if I have to eat goat in order to not starve, I'm gonna eat some goat. 

1 comment:

  1. Yummm...Goat..nah really, it's protein and you need it kid..(get it?)

    ReplyDelete